Wilson Art Gallery and Museum in Cheltenham given green light to expand cafe
Plans to expand Cheltenham art gallery cafe The Wilson have been given the green light. The Cheltenham Trust has obtained planning permission from Cheltenham Borough Council to use part of the ground floor as an extension to the existing cafe on the Clarence Street site.
The proposals, which were debated by the planning committee this week, also include minor changes to the ground, first and third floors. Plans include changing the ground floor from a tourist information center to a flexible workspace to provide an extension to the existing café.
The primary use of the Grade II listed building will remain as a museum and art gallery. Consultants working on the project said: “The change of use will act as an extension to the existing café with the additional provision of flexible workspace at No. 51 Clarence Street. In addition, the third floor will offer improved facilities for artists and students.
READ MORE: Fears the cost of living crisis will lead to children going hungry in Gloucestershire next winter
“All physical changes are internal and will have no impact on the exterior appearance of the building. Internal changes, detailed in the elevations and floor plans prepared by Interaction, will be minor in nature. »
Council officers recommended approval of the proposals and councilors unanimously supported the proposals at the March 24 meeting. The Wilson, formerly known as the Cheltenham Art Gallery and Museum, was opened in 1899. It was renamed in honor of the Cheltonian polar explorer Edward Wilson in 2013 after the building was extended.
To read more Carmelo stories, click here